Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

I'm sick and tired of band drama
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster I'm sick and tired of band drama
Andy

No. 1 Posted on Nov 26, 2012 5:39 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Prepare for a rant...

I just finished packing away all my drum stuff as I've realized that the band scene is really more headache than it's worth - even occasional jam sessions. I provide a practice space, a PA, lyrics sheets and coordinate 5 guys' schedules, likes and dislikes to make it happen. And what do I get in return? Answer: somebody always shows up late or not at all, somebody forgets a key component (9v battery, guitar cord, tuner, guitar strap, microphone), and everybody shows up unprepared, failing to remember the simplest 4-chord song we played last week. Did any body think to write it down? My gentle suggestions for these guys to write down their notes even going so far as to provide each with a notebook and pen was met with amusement.

A while back, they all wanted to start gigging and wanted me to get them some gigs. I agreed provided we, as a band, could actually go from one song to the next without a 3-minute reminder session. I'll get the gig, negotiate the price, ensure the tax stuff is done properly, carry the PA, carry my drums and be all set up waiting for them. All they had to do is LEARN THEIR PARTS. Guess what? Not one of them was able to do this.

I'm tired of it, am pulling the plug on the band business for a while and focusing on other hobbies. I used to be a real good shot with a rifle. Maybe I'll start shooting more often? At least I won't have to babysit a bunch of adults.

I have two top-of-the-line drum sets but will hold on to my stuff in the event the perfect band comes along. I'm not holding out much hope though. If a couple years go by and I'm still in this situation, I'll get rid of one, but will always hold on to one just in case.

pwc

No. 2 Posted on Nov 26, 2012 5:44 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I feel for you. Hope some other types of guys who see the real fun in playing well come along. Maybe you should have had the rifle at rehearsals .....

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:14 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
I feel for you. Hope some other types of guys who see the real fun in playing well come along. Maybe you should have had the rifle at rehearsals .....

Perhaps a rifle at rehearsal could have allowed you some... leverage.Big Smile

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:38 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Rant all you want to!!

I've thought many time it would be fun to find 5 or 6 guys that can switch off on string and horn type instruments even a piano/vibes man would be nice in the mix. And even if one or more could sing and harmonize that would be wonderful. Play a mix of country, big band and some rock. In my area we could probably play every night. OH; BTW: they would have to be good to. LOL!!

Those guys are traveling right now! LOL!!

Over the years I've watched my band leaders deal with all of the above that you mentioned and I've even been a president in an RC flying club for three or four years only because no one else wanted to do it and I wasn't that good at it either; always worried about hurting someones feelings.

Nope not anymore; I don't want to be a band leader or a president of anything, I just want to enjoy the rest of my life as is.

It's just like a business, you have to be willing to hire and fire as needed.

Don't give up music; just be the drummer. HAVE FUN!!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I almost wish I had that problem.

Trouble for me is not being able to find competent people with whom I can jam (although players specializing in various genre' are all around).

Style, schedule, instrumentation, a fit place to meet and play, age - especially age - have gotten in the way. My work has been a bit of a tough component, too.

But what was said I can relate to. I also agree - Rant on; those are worthy concerns.

One thing mentioned that gets under my skin, too, is any gig where you have non-committal and debate over what's going to be played next ... Especially when it takes Minutes instead of Moments to finally get the next song started. That's aggravating.

OldFart edited on Nov 28, 2012 5:20 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
technique2012

No. 6 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:47 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think it's aggravating when no one practices and they still think they're ready for the performance.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Mendell

No. 7 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:20 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
How can a guitarist forget his guitar strap? Unless he brings a chair or something to sit on... I mean do you, as a drummer forget your drum throne?

Gretsh Renown Maple 10, 12, 14 and 16 toms, 22 bass drum, Yamaha, Spaun and Pork Pie snares. DW 9002 and Iron Cobra Powerglide double pedals. Many cymbals, here it is:

Kaleidoscope

No. 8 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:38 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm in a spot where I'm getting paid, but it isn't any fun. I like having the extra cash. But its close to pulling teeth when at a gig or rehearsal. Bassist is just way to freakin busy. No matter how many times I say play simple or too much going on its doesn't seem to help. Some of the songs sound good because he has no choice but to stick to a certain line. Its getting old and I'm thinking of quitting at the end of the year and find a different group. Oh yeah and our keyboardist didn't show for practice tonight badda bing.

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
StillKicken

No. 9 Posted on Dec 1, 2012 11:01 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Mendell wrote:
How can a guitarist forget his guitar strap? Unless he brings a chair or something to sit on... I mean do you, as a drummer forget your drum throne?

YEP!!

I remember an out of town gig when a band leader used a trailer so everyone could ride in the same car. During the haste of transfers from my car to trailer, the throne was left in the trunk. I was not a happy camper that evening; don't let anyone lie to you, Houston phone books do not make good drum thrones.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy

No. 10 Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:04 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Mendell wrote:

Guitar players forget straps, cords, batteries, etc.. ALL THE TIME. Why? Beats me. A lot of them think that they can just show up to a gig with no practice, minimal work, no plan, no notes and just completely WOW the audience. I've dealt with guys like that and they can me managed to a certain extent if you're willing to put forth the effort. I can get them to practice, bring all sorts of extra stuff for them to a gig, check their equipment but there just comes a point in time where the hassle of taking care of someone else's job takes all the fun out of it. I'm done!

Andy

No. 11 Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:06 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
I think it's aggravating when no one practices and they still think they're ready for the performance.

You're right. So many of these guys think it's OK to have a 5-minute refresher sessions inbetween songs during a paying gig. I actually went though with a gig like that and it was an absolute train wreck: a complete disaster!

OldFart

Mapex

No. 12 Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:06 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
You're right. So many of these guys think it's OK to have a 5-minute refresher sessions inbetween songs during a paying gig. I actually went though with a gig like that and it was an absolute train wreck: a complete disaster!

Frustrating and embarrassing; that's how that sort of thing affects me.

Your explanation of that aspect really hit home with me, Andy.

I don't blame you -

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
drumster15

No. 13 Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:45 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Its that bad huh? Well eventually good musicians who are ambitious as you will come along and will be at the same understanding as yourself... Just be patient I know what you are going through its a drag really but it all pays off knowing your stuff why not try to play like in a mall outside or something attracts attention and money comes in.. I tried it only once made 300 bucks in less than 3 hours and I was just playing simple beats, rudiments, and stick tricks try it out you never know what can happen...good luck though

StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 14 Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:36 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Wow....some of you have had some pretty bad luck in this area. Pretty much every band I've been in has been with committed band-mates that are there for the music first and the money second...or third.

Not that I haven't seen drama, but I'm usually never the cause of it either. If I'm "in", I'm IN.

All my current band mates are in their late fifties, early sixties...like myself, and I think our experience has taught us the value of committment and practice.

Don't hang it all up for long Andy....you just need to find the right folks, and maybe fewer of them. Try a three piece next time for fun and don't enable people to be flaky by providing everything, and then some, by yourself.

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 37 milliseconds