Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Best sound
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Best sound
TheRaymond389

No. 1 Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:02 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Am i the only one who sometimes uses no resonate heads on my toms?my racked 12"tom i dont becuse i like the short decay (ebony pinstripe,im guess i just like the drum to say what it needs to say then shut up,to put it that way Cool

OldFart

Mapex

No. 2 Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:16 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
TheRaymond389 wrote:
Am i the only one who sometimes uses no resonate heads on my toms?my racked 12"tom i dont becuse i like the short decay (ebony pinstripe,im guess i just like the drum to say what it needs to say then shut up,to put it that way Cool

Years ago I had a kit with half Concert Toms ( no resonate head ) and half Toms with resonate heads.

I felt I got the best sound out of the Concert Toms when I used either Pinstripes or Controlled Sound - both of which were the clear versions.

So I can relate to what you're saying.

I tried a few different heads on the drums until I hit upon these two and settled with them as my go-to sound.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
TheRaymond389

No. 3 Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
oh good so its not just me Big Smile right now i only use resonates on my 13" tom and 16" tom

pwc

No. 4 Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:07 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have had kits that were not only minus reso head but minus shells to fit those on. These were single head kits by RIMS and Arbiter Flats.. The first did not allow head changes or tuning but the other two did and I used Pinstripes on one and Coated Ambassadors on the other. Both worked fine.

Other kits meant to have reso heads - including my current shallow depths Taye Gokit - "sing" more and project better so I cannot in all honesty say that single head kits are in any way superior.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 5 Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:57 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I used to have no resonant heads but have switch to using them for tone and depth. Plus I don't think using them has really hurt the basic projection.

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
TheRaymond389

No. 6 Posted on Nov 24, 2012 6:09 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
cool guys but you know how some people have that really low short sustain ,i love that sound ,any idea on the heads?

technique2012

No. 7 Posted on Nov 24, 2012 6:33 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I get that by using Evans Coated EC2's as my batter heads and Evans Coated G2's as my resonant heads.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
TheRaymond389

No. 8 Posted on Nov 25, 2012 12:29 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Never tried evans

technique2012

No. 9 Posted on Nov 25, 2012 2:20 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
There are equivalents of them in Remo and Aquarian.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
TheRaymond389

No. 10 Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:55 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
not according to some people

technique2012

No. 11 Posted on Nov 25, 2012 5:33 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Then I don't know what to tell you, bud.

-Charles Mingus
TheRaymond389

No. 12 Posted on Nov 25, 2012 5:50 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
i never treid them but for some reason i feel like i would be insulting my drumset if i put those on

StillKicken

No. 13 Posted on Nov 25, 2012 11:18 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well Sad I wouldn't consider it an insult.

I've never tried other brands but I'm sure they are doing something right or they wouldn't be in business.

I get a much shorter sustain on the bass by tuning the reso higher than batter side plus I'm getting a much lower tone than before. I like my toms with maximum sustain so I tune both heads to the same note.

You will have to experiment to find the result your looking for. I don't know; on toms maybe a PS3 on the reso side may be your answer, but then again the PS3 may be too drastic.

sherm

PS: It's all about tuning, it just takes practice.

StillKicken edited on Nov 25, 2012 11:23 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
technique2012

No. 14 Posted on Nov 26, 2012 2:20 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
TheRaymond389 wrote:
i never treid them but for some reason i feel like i would be insulting my drumset if i put those on

That's a fairly strong opinion towards Evans. But are the pros insulting their kits if they use Evans and have a fantastic sounding kit? It's not just about the heads. It's also about the tuning. My dad and I still even have the Remo DW stock heads on our kit that we don't want to switch for anything yet, since it sounds so great just by tuning and adjusting it. Don't knock it till you try it.
And this is coming from a middle school boy who learned it the hard way.

-Charles Mingus
moneyowen

No. 15 Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:36 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
In the 70's after they discovered multi track recording, guys started taking their bottom heads off. Made it easier to stick a mic up in there. Other guys being drummers, saw this and said "hmm.. I'm taking mine off too.." Lots of nice old drumsets around with the top hoops and tension rods being lost and bearing edges torn up be being knocked around. Also with the influx of bigger amps, it became necessary to try and be a little louder. I know it was just a matter of time before it came back in style. I noticed Taylor Hawkins doing this with Foo Fighters. Back in the day, you could buy concert tom kits with no bottom lugs. Wonder if that will come back around.

FWIW, I too did this back when. I did lots of things. I think it does make for a little more projection and increased sound. IMO FWIW it doesn't make for better sound. Just a little louder. I think it loses some of the character from having a bottom head. Once it's properly miced it can be as loud as you need it to be. If you like the sound, then it's a good way to go, for now. I would likely use a Pinstripe for this type setup. Also FWIW, I have used everybody's drum heads. They all work fine. IMO you owe it to yourself to check out as much as you can, rather than just dish on one or the other

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 34 milliseconds