Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Which Essentials?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Which Essentials?
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:37 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I recently found out that I'm going to be traveling back to Malaysia during Christmas for about two weeks to visit my ailing grandparents. In my spare time (if any), I intend to practice on a practice pad. What should I absolutely practice to make sure I don't lose skill?

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 2 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Rudiments:

I think playing rudiments is the basses of all drumming, like play scales is to note instruments. It not only helps with stick control it also helps independence of the left and right hand.

By not practicing rudiments as much as I should have during my younger years I feel it holds me back in abilities now in my senior years.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
OldFart

Mapex

No. 3 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:13 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
I recently found out that I'm going to be traveling back to Malaysia during Christmas for about two weeks to visit my ailing grandparents. In my spare time (if any), I intend to practice on a practice pad. What should I absolutely practice to make sure I don't lose skill?

First, I'd say be sure you show respect to your grandparents and parents while in their presence. Try to understand their condition, and show that you care.

Before you depart :

Download PASIC Rudiments and print out.

Take this with you making sure you practice them a couple minutes at a time for each of the 40 rudiments PASIC has noted. Do that day-by-day for as long as you're able to without driving your family up the wall because of the drum noise or the tapping.

Doing so will mean that you've practiced (and accomplished) the strokes for roughly 90 minutes. Dividing it up into 10 to 15 minutes at a time and spread those sessions throughout the day will very likely help everyone get along Smile

{ EDIT : It took me several minutes to write this, and Sherm supplied the answer before I was finished ... Sherm and I are on the same page, evidently Smile I'm hoping the PASIC rudiment sheet will assist in keeping your luggage-size manageable }

OldFart edited on Nov 14, 2012 6:15 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
technique2012

No. 4 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:25 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I fully understand my grandparents come first. This something I plan to do on my "quietist practice pad in the world". Really, when I was in Canada in the hotel, my parents fell asleep while I was tapping away. I just might end up slacking off anyway. But thanks for the answers.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
I fully understand my grandparents come first. This something I plan to do on my "quietist practice pad in the world". Really, when I was in Canada in the hotel, my parents fell asleep while I was tapping away. I just might end up slacking off anyway. But thanks for the answers.

And what kind of practice pad is that, that is so quite? I need one.

LOL!! As slow as I am at typing I'm surprised I beat anyone to a response.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
technique2012

No. 6 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:33 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A Sound Percussion Gum Rubber Pad. Nice and quiet. That's definitely my practice pad for college in 6 years.

-Charles Mingus
drumster15

No. 7 Posted on Nov 15, 2012 1:01 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Do the Muller technique, Flam a diddles, Flam accents, Flam taps Para-diddles, Stroke rolls,and linear coordinations just some tips

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 25 milliseconds