Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Talk about sticks (wood)
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Talk about sticks (wood)
StillKicken

No. 1 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:03 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
In another post we were talking about our favorite drum sticks and that got me to thinking; why would we pick one type of wood over another.

In that post my choices happened to be oak but that's not the only type wood that sticks are made of. Kind of like drums, right, all different type of wood.

I would like to know what your choice of wood is and WHY, without talking about brand names if possible.

Sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:48 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
As long as it doesn't break, I play with any type.Tongue

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:56 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
LOL!! Well thats a good reason!

sherm

pwc

No. 4 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:28 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Not sure I have ever picked sticks by their wood type but it so happens that the ones I did pick were Hickory. Being unvarnished, fairly light with small ball tips were my criteria as these suit both my playing style and seem to make my brand of cymbals sweeter to my ears or at least darker which is what I like.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
paul

paulmiller

No. 5 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:21 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I sat in with a jazz trio a few years ago, and the drummer was using my current brand/model. They felt really good, so I asked where he got them, and have been using them ever since.

The sticks are essentially maple 5B's. I really like the sound they get from drums and cymbals both, especially snare drum and ride cymbal. Because my hands are larger than average, I like the relatively large diameter combined with lighter weight, but sound is the main thing for me.

I use the same sticks for everything, and keep 5-6 pair in my bag. If the manufacturer made nylon tip versions of my stick I'd probably buy some to use in some loud situations for extra definition on the ride, but like the sound of wood tips, and just quit using sticks when the tip gets soft.

Over the last 15 years I've played regularly with five or six different sticks, and experimented with many more (and have the box full of new and nearly new sticks to prove it), but these sound best of all I've tried. There's only one place in Dallas/Fort Worth that stocks my model, but they break open a brick when I come and let me weigh them with a digital scale, so the six pair in my bag now are all identical in weight, and will last several months. The drive across town twice a year is worth it.

For me, the sound of the stick on my snare drum is the main thing. I can get used to just about any weight/diameter, but if the stick doesn't sound right it won't work for me.

Using the same stick for everything means more comfort for me when switching between genres, and volume is easily controlled with technique.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

paul

paulmiller

No. 6 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Billy Cobham did a clinic here a few years ago, and he discussed the role of sticks as an integral part of one's instrument and sound. I believe that's especially true in acoustic settings, which describes 90% of my situations.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 7 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:22 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My first many pairs of sticks were hickory. I kept them generally on the smaller side, as my hands aren't all that big. For a while I used oak, but eventually decided I didn't quite like their feel. I switched to another brand's hickory stick and was okay with that until I landed upon a small maple pair this summer. I've come to love their really precise sound on rides and tone on the snare.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

RvJim

Reverend

No. 8 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like hickory because of its durability. Oak may be strong, but it doesn't flex so they still break easily.

Like Pete, I also prefer unvarnished. Varnished sticks make my hands sweat and I don't like that.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
OldFart

Mapex

No. 9 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:38 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like the lighter weight Maple sticks.

Hickory is fine, too, but I think I can play more intricate stuff with Maple. I have only Hickory sticks in the bag at the moment.

Can't recall ever playing an Oak stick.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
TheLemonAid

No. 10 Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:46 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Bamboo! wheyy!

Actually that's not true, I always played Hickory. Except for the one time I bought the Mike Mangini Zildjian signature drumsticks, they're Laminated Birch and I remember that I really liked them. For the rest, I never actually thought about testing out different wood types with drumsticks.

Funny or interesting drum-related video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=6frNG86EMDQ&NR=1
(New video every now and then just for entertainment :) )
Kaleidoscope

No. 11 Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I tried out the jap oak sticks by pro-mark and haven't turned back since. A set will last around a year as long as I don't leave them behind somewhere. I feel that is pretty good considering I play everyday and gig multiple times a month. They are a bit heavier and louder but that's fine with me. I don't do a lot of heavy hitting, I just let the stick do the work. I think they pull better tone from my drums compared to a hickory stick. MY 2 cents.

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
OldFart

Mapex

No. 12 Posted on Nov 13, 2012 4:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I failed to mention the Ahead sticks I use are man made material (Aluminum and plastic).

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 13 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:05 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Humm, tone quality I can understand how types of wood can affect tone quality. I notice that by the size of the stick; even at low volumn the heaver sticks will produce a nicer tone.

What about stick responce, anyone noticed a difference with types of woods?

Hey, anyone remember to fiberglass sticks we had back in the 60's? LOL!!

sherm

Kaleidoscope

No. 14 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Most stick response to me seems minimal. But scientifically (haha) a denser stick should transfer energy more efficiently. So more stick response for denser wood types?

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
Singlestroker

No. 15 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:57 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
I like hickory because of its durability. Oak may be strong, but it doesn't flex so they still break easily.

Like Pete, I also prefer unvarnished. Varnished sticks make my hands sweat and I don't like that.

I have to admit to having never played (or previously heard of) unvarnished sticks. They sound interesting because of the sweating aspect. Are the tips nevertheless varnished?

RvJim

Reverend

No. 16 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:29 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I have to admit to having never played (or previously heard of) unvarnished sticks. They sound interesting because of the sweating aspect. Are the tips nevertheless varnished?

I use nylon tips. But you can get the naturals in wood tip, and they are unvarnished like the rest of the stick.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 36 milliseconds