Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Your Favorite Sticks
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Your Favorite Sticks
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:20 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What sticks do you play? In addition, what brushes and rutes?
I use TONS of different sticks, but my most frequent ones are the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride Stick, the Vic Firth Dave Weckl Evolutions (THE BEST PAIR OF STICKS EVER MADE), and Regal Tip Nylon 5Bs. I use the Regal Tip Jeff Hamiltons for brushes and I just use the original Vic Firth Rutes. As you might have noticed a few sentences ago, I love the Dave Weckl Evolutions.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:07 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I tend to use Promark 5B Naturals

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
paul

paulmiller

No. 3 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 8:00 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Vic Firth SD10 Swingers.

Different sets of non-retractable brushes.

A couple of different rods. I don't remember the names any more.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

pwc

No. 4 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 9:19 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
ProMark 733 Micheal Carvin model.
A myriad of brushes for different needs. I have Jeff Hamilton sig brushes but find them too stiff for some things I like to do.
Premier mallets.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:50 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm a Promark Oak type of guy.

Shira Kashi™ Oak 707 Ed Shaughnessy Wood Tip Round
Shira Kashi™ Oak 719 Stephen Perkins Wood Tip Round
Shira Kashi™ Oak Ja "Jazz" Drumstick Wood Tip Oval

Over the years I played small diameter sticks with nylon tips. The nylon seemed to bring out the ping on cymbals more and worked good from big stages in large dance halls. Then I started playing in smaller venues and the high pitch ping seemed to be too much. Plus I needed a change and started to experiment.

Being some what an Ed Shaughnessy fan I tried the 707 round tip stick and fell in love with the feel of rounds tip sticks. I also found out when playing with finesse at low volumes the larger heavy stick would bring out the tone of the drum with ease. I also like the feel of the 719 round tip stick, it's a smaller diameter stick and a little easier to play in small venues at low volume.

There are times when I really need to play so soft but yet play some nice intricate stuff I'll use the Promark Jazz.

sherm

PS: I plan to try Peters suggestion of the extra small round tip sticks.

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
OldFart

Mapex

No. 6 Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:01 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm currently using Vater Gospel Sticks. Gospels come in three sizes: 5A, Fusion and 5B. I lean toward 5A and Fusion. 5B is there in case I ever need to be heard. The Gospels are Ball tipped sticks.

I haven't purchased any Maple sticks for some time, and need to. I'm pretty sure I'm going for Vater Sugar Maple Sweet Ride or Phat Ride and likely Sugar Maple Ball.

I have a few pair of Ahead sticks, which I now use as back-ups.

{ I generally prefer "A" size sticks, though I have A's and B's in my bag }

I've been playing :
- Flix Brushes (plastic, not wire; and I should make it a point to pick up good wire brushes)
- Flix Sticks (Which are Rods)
- Flix Tips (lighter weight Rods with a nylon drumstick "tip" bound in the center of the Rods).

Note to self : Need to get a couple pair of mallets.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 7 Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am really enjoying Vic Firth SD4 Combos right now. They're maple, very light, very precise.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

TheLemonAid

No. 8 Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:43 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I used to always use a variety of Zildjian drumsticks, mostly 5B, but sometimes I even used 2B.

Now that I've started to drum much more frequently after finishing school, I decided to change drumsticks and I am still on my first pair of ProMark 5B Natural, just like Mr. RvJim, and I am very happy with what they offer and see no reasons to change back to Zildjian drumsticks.

Funny or interesting drum-related video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=6frNG86EMDQ&NR=1
(New video every now and then just for entertainment :) )
StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 9 Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:10 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
JD turned me on to Vater Fusions. He uses wood tip but I prefer nylon.....I like 'em a lot. Light but long enough for some leverage to get a good punch and durable.

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
knightcrawler

No. 10 Posted on Dec 6, 2012 5:13 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Vic Firth's Cools (I don't have big hands like most drummers/guys do)

Vic Firth's live Wire brushes

Vic Firth Dreadlocks

Vic Firth Rutes

And that's about it.

drumster15

No. 11 Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:45 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Vic Firth all the way..Vic Firth Extreme 5As or Bs... Vic Firth Thomas Lang signature sticks. Vic Firth Brushes and brutes..
I tried Vaters and Pro Marks and do not like neither they feel weird not my pair I guess..

BiggDogg

No. 12 Posted on Dec 11, 2012 6:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Vic Firth 5Bs.Don't use brushes,I have some Promarks but have never used them. I do use Thunder sticks or whatever they are called. My pair is about wore out but I like how they fill and sound so I will use em till their ain't any wood left!lol

knightcrawler

No. 13 Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:03 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
doh! That should read Vic Firth's 8 Ds

technique2012

No. 14 Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:54 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I just recently switched to the Vic Firth Gavin Harrison's because I needed way more power in my playing after my director kept pushing me to play louder.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 15 Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:14 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
I just recently switched to the Vic Firth Gavin Harrison's because I needed way more power in my playing after my director kept pushing me to play louder.

Exactly the reason why I carry at least 3 sizes of sticks in my bag. Yesterday while playing in a large hall I had to use my largest set mainly to projest tone qualitity. And yes I did play a little louder.

Work smartter not harder; a larger stick can help in some ways.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Dave

No. 16 Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:52 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I would have to say 'Crystal Ball', followed by 'Equinox'.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

OldFart

Mapex

No. 17 Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:42 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Dave wrote:
I would have to say 'Crystal Ball', followed by 'Equinox'.

Well, Mr. Roboto, it seems you bid us 'Come Sail Away' to hear these gems ...

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Dave

No. 18 Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:04 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
Well, Mr. Roboto, it seems you bid us 'Come Sail Away' to hear these gems ...

Doh! I deserved that.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

kudoco

Adrian

No. 19 Posted on Dec 30, 2012 1:53 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Vic Firth 7A

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 37 milliseconds