Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

New kit options
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster New kit options
drumster15

No. 1 Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:01 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Ok so as many of you know or not.. I own a PDP X7 Kit and I want to buy a new kit but I have no idea which to get..either a DW Collectors or Performance I have jammed with many kits but my brand personally is DW and would want one of their "high end" kits the sound of the drums are both sick but I want to know which drum set is best? I play the following genres: Gospel, R&B, Rock (only often), Funk, Jazz (fusion or smooth). What do you guys recommend I want to start with a 6 peice 4 toms a snare and a Kick and later want to add an 8 tom so yeah.

Kaleidoscope

No. 2 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:43 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The collectors series are obviously a higher end kit. More options as to what wood you can use and the over all look and sound of your kit. I'm sure they both sound good. Performance series and are gonna be lighter on the wallet. I have a pdp cx kit, and am looking to upgrade as well. Then use my cx as a strictly live rig. I'm so tired of breaking my set down constantly. You can prolly find a better sounding set for a cheaper price if your not tied to DW. I'm looking at Pearl reference/masters, Gretsch new classics, yamaha oak, etc.

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:33 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you take what sound you yourself actually prefer out of the mix, I would actually say a Pearl Reference might better suit your needs. They give the kind of warm and semi-heavy sound for the music you're playing. I used to have a Reference but then switched to a Collectors only because I wanted a more punchy sound. But either the Collectors or Reference are good picks. Top of their class and very well-rounded. Hey, I just realized I reached a (pretty weak) milestone of 50 postsSmile

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 4 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:32 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^Lucky kid, right there...

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

technique2012

No. 5 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:04 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I know I'm lucky, but it was really my dad who kept saying we needed the best of the best if we were going to get an acoustic. He loves everything high end.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
technique2012

No. 6 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:13 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I always thought the Sonor kits weren't bad either... but look into all companies. Not just the ones we tell you. As I say in most of these types of topics, it's all a matter of your own preferences and needs.

-Charles Mingus
drumster15

No. 7 Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:32 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well I have looked into other drums don't get me wrong I have taken the Reference into consideration but me personally its not for me... Like the person a few on top of me said I like that punch sound out of drums which is why I like the DW Collectors.. I have also seen good reviews on the Mapex kits like the Pro M and the meridians are sick.. I don't like yamaha at all so thats out tama i despise they ring to much...and for the Gretsch I only got to play on it once gotta say they have a good sound... but thank you all for your feedback and for patiently reading this I appreciate it

Quick Question though do you think Ebony bottoms and Clear tops on toms would like weird or nasty???

StillKicken

No. 8 Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:52 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Personally, I would buy any brand with 100% maple and top of the line hardware. I wouldn't buy any drum that is sick or nasty. And for me, American made would be a plus.

Any drum that rings too much needs to be re-tuned or just add Moonjell.

I like my Ludwig Classics but if I happened to win the Lotto it would be Ludwig, DW or a hand made brand.

sherm Big Smile

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
OldFart

Mapex

No. 9 Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:27 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My huge bias has me responding ...

I love my Mapex Saturns. Mapex does not make their former top-of-the-line kit, Orion, any longer. But Orions are excellent and these can be had used here and there. Mapex make excellent drums; and for their quality, they're not priced so high as to make one choke.

That's my admitted bias. Try to find a store where they handle Mapex gear. Play them and give them a close inspection to see if their wares pass muster for you.

Yeah ... I'm pretty much all-in for Mapex, although I'm also a Gretsch guy at heart.

OldFart edited on Nov 7, 2012 8:29 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
drumster15

No. 10 Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:51 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well I checked out more Mapex kits as well as a few other gretsch also checked out a Ludwig Epic gotta say I loved it also there was a set that was a 7 peice absolutely beautiful but only problem was the finish sucked in my opinion....
Also not sure if anyone say my previous question to about if clear on top or toms would look weird with bottom ebonys

pwc

No. 11 Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
There are no rules about ebony or clear heads and whatever suits your fancy is fine as long as the kit sounds good to you and out front. What a kit looks like has little bearing on what it sounds like IMHO.

pwc edited on Nov 9, 2012 1:59 AM

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Singlestroker

No. 12 Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:41 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The British Premier Genista are very, very nice drumkits. I know many who swear they are among the best-sounding drums ever. Here is a current dealer's page for a few of them, in California.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=genista

drumster15

No. 13 Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:50 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
PWC thanks just needed to know what someone else thought hehe appreciate it really...

And about the Premier drums my god I've always wanted to try one I have heard Nicko McBrains Birch premier kit and I gotta say I love how they look and sound .... I will definately check em out

OldFart

Mapex

No. 14 Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:16 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
The British Premier Genista are very, very nice drumkits. I know many who swear they are among the best-sounding drums ever. Here is a current dealer's page for a few of them, in California.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=genista

Agreed. The sound from the original Genistas was/is very pleasing.

This Musician's Friend page shows the script Premier logo, which is the one I prefer. The description says P logo, which is likely more iconic than the script version, but is not shown.

I always thought the script Premier logo was the most appealing of the major brands.

Loved the Genistas from the 1990's, though, which were exclusively Birch. And Premier's finishes were really, really nice.

OldFart edited on Nov 9, 2012 4:30 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 15 Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:

I always thought the script Premier logo was the most appealing of the major brands.

I dunno, the cursive Ludwig is pretty hard to beat.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

OldFart

Mapex

No. 16 Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:26 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HuskerFan wrote:
I dunno, the cursive Ludwig is pretty hard to beat.

I'm including that in my thinking Wink

When I was playing more regularly, I was a routine sit-in for a couple of bands. They'd have me bring just my sticks or whatever else I wanted to add from my own gear, but both bands supplied top line, vintage Ludwig 4 or 5-piece kits. They had the iconic Ludwig script Logo heads ( Ludwig-brand heads all around, come to think of it).

I still lean toward the "P" brand Cool

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
drumster15

No. 17 Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:58 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
what do you guys think of the PDP LX Series?? I fell in love with that kit...(probably because it was the first set i played) but yeah not saying I will buy one but just asking opinions....

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 38 milliseconds