Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Travis Barker: Epic or Overrated?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Travis Barker: Epic or Overrated?
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think he's a little overated. I mean he's good, but not to the point where I'd say, "Now that's a genius!"

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
TheLemonAid

No. 2 Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:14 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I used to really like his drumming, I still do, but I've found drummers that impressed me much more recently, which put Travis quite a bit lower on the list.

He's very quick. He was in a marching band in his younger years and he's got the technique, but he's no Buddy Rich. Or maybe he just didn't really get the chance to prove that he is... He says that he'll retire playing Jazz, so I am very curious how that will go.

But for now, if I had to choose, epic or overrated, I'd put him under Overrated.

Funny or interesting drum-related video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=6frNG86EMDQ&NR=1
(New video every now and then just for entertainment :) )
pwc

No. 3 Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
One of the few joys of being old is that I can choose to show no interest in Justin Beiber or Travls Barker ..... Smile

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Singlestroker

No. 4 Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:26 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
One of the few joys of being old is that I can choose to show no interest in Justin Beiber or Travls Barker ..... Smile

You said it for me. It might just be a generational thing, though. As far as style of music goes, I suppose a lot of young drummers won't be excited by the material played by, for example, Buddy Rich and his contemporaries. When it comes to talent, I think that there have always been brilliant people, and there always will be.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:18 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So, is Travis Barker Epic or Overrated? Well, I think JoJo Meyer's great!

OldFart edited on Nov 1, 2012 6:23 AM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Singlestroker

No. 6 Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
So, is Travis Barker Epic or Overrated? Well, I think JoJo Meyer's great!

That's an interesting point, Randy. To some extent it negates my point about the generation gap. I too admire Jojo Mayer. Perhaps it's the style and image that's the problem for me with TB. Anyway, I can't get interested in his playing, but equally can't testify as to whether it's any good...

OldFart

Mapex

No. 7 Posted on Nov 1, 2012 4:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
That's an interesting point, Randy. To some extent it negates my point about the generation gap. I too admire Jojo Mayer. Perhaps it's the style and image that's the problem for me with TB. Anyway, I can't get interested in his playing, but equally can't testify as to whether it's any good...

I failed in my attempt to sound tongue-in-cheek, I'm afraid.

Since there have been other discussion threads highlighting Mr. Barker in the past, I determined to launch from the availability of this thread to acknowledge Mr. Meyer as a player ( and not limited to his Bass Pedal ).

However, I like a number of other exceptional drummers, as well.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
RvJim

Reverend

No. 8 Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:16 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
When Travis plays like this, I'll move him to the epic catagory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDSyZMy8_E

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
OldFart

Mapex

No. 9 Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:41 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
When Travis plays like this, I'll move him to the epic catagory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDSyZMy8_E

Mercy!

And a great kit to boot!!

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
RvJim

Reverend

No. 10 Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:39 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
Mercy!

And a great kit to boot!!

Who says that a time signature in 19 can't grove?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gWTTrwx-fs&playnext=1&list=PL57B024E54F99CED6&feature=results_main

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
OldFart

Mapex

No. 11 Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
Who says that a time signature in 19 can't grove?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gWTTrwx-fs&playnext=1&list=PL57B024E54F99CED6&feature=results_main

Fabulous start to finish ... Bravo!

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Singlestroker

No. 12 Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:51 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Gavin Harrison is magnificent. A great musician is great whatever his age. I humbly withdraw my suggestion that it's a generational thing - although style and image still puts me off really having a good listen to TB. My advancing age must be producing prejudices I hadn't thought I really had.

pwc

No. 13 Posted on Nov 2, 2012 4:43 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Gavin gave a clinic in Bangkok but I heard about it too late. I would have loved to chat with him about his cooperation in the UK with Ric Byer - who I knew when he lived here and worked as a both a bassist and a drummer.

He (Gavin) is a superb drummer and I have seen many of his videos. Travis who ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 14 Posted on Nov 2, 2012 2:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZcUutK21Xk
I'll give Barker some credit when he can play even a third as good as this. My problem with Barker is he's so one dimensional. I'd like to see him do something other than punk and single strokes.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
HuskerFan

Yay college

No. 15 Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:33 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
I'll give Barker some credit when he can play even a third as good as this. My problem with Barker is he's so one dimensional. I'd like to see him do something other than punk and single strokes.

Love Erskine. Hopefully I can make it to the masterclass he's giving at my college in two weeks.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle
Zildjian, Dream, and Wuhan cymbals
ZMAN

No. 16 Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:50 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If everyone played or plays like all the Greats from the past we would have nothing to compare anything to... Hence this and all other under-rated over-rated stuff. All or most of us have borrowed chops from the big boys at some point. My opinion on things like good or not good really makes no difference. If you get a gig and the band becomes popular to the masses it doesn't matter how "Good u are". The point here is we all have our styles and we all take and borrow from everyone else. You play for the song and the music and not everything requires technical skills.
If we all played like the greats,Drumming life would be boring...
Take it for whats its worth..... The man made it to the Big Leagues with his under-rated status.... Smile

kudoco

Adrian

No. 17 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:43 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:

What's wrong with single strokes? If you master them you can do amazing stuff.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/bellotti.php

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 74 milliseconds