Remo
DrumTalk » Ask Remo

Snare head
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Snare head
jomster

Score: 0
No. 1 Posted on Sep 17, 2009 1:18 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I need help with buying a snare head. Right now i'm looking for a tony royster jr snare sound but i don't know what kind i should buy. My snare is an '14 birch wood. Also, do i also need to change the bottom head and the snare wires too to acquire that sound, currently, i have the equalizer snare wires and the factory bottom head.. Pls any suggestions??? Thanks

jomster edited on Sep 17, 2009 1:20 PM

jverdan

Shy Guy lol

No. 2 Posted on Sep 17, 2009 3:45 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
First of all, welcome to the forums. I know at least a couple people will bring this up but, its near impossible to get his exact sound. There are man things they do to the drums sound in the studio like, compressing, eq'ing, ect, that make his drums sound the way they do. Don't try because you will only end up wasting your money. I own a 14" birch wood snare also, and i can tell you what sounds good on it but if you are a bad tuner, you will have some trouble. Try some heads like coated ambassadors or CS controlled sounds. Those are great. If you like a more muffled sound, than muffle the head or try the emperor x. These are just my suggestions.

Mapex M Birch.
10", 12", 13" toms
16" floor tom
14" snare
22x18 bass drum

18" A Custom crash
21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride
14" ZBT hats
18" ZBT Crash
19" AA Metal-X Crash
18" Wuhan China
Evans heads

Pro-Mark sticks
OldFart

Mapex

No. 3 Posted on Sep 17, 2009 4:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jverdan wrote:
First of all, welcome to the forums. I know at least a couple people will bring this up but, its near impossible to get his exact sound. There are man things they do to the drums sound in the studio like, compressing, eq'ing, ect, that make his drums sound the way they do. Don't try because you will only end up wasting your money. I own a 14" birch wood snare also, and i can tell you what sounds good on it but if you are a bad tuner, you will have some trouble. Try some heads like coated ambassadors or CS controlled sounds. Those are great. If you like a more muffled sound, than muffle the head or try the emperor x. These are just my suggestions.

I've only heard Royster on YouTube, and what comes to mind is that he cranks something like a Coated Controlled Sound .

So I went to The Tony Royster Jr Website to find that he endorses Evans drum heads.

When you click the Evans link, it goes to Evans website (so far, so good) . Then you go to the Artist section and scroll down until you find Tony Royster Jr., and to the right you see all the Model Numbers/Part Numbers of the drum heads Royster uses. You hover your Mouse Over the Part Number to find he uses a 14" PowerCenter Reverse Dot over a 14" Hazy 300 Snare Side .

{ I think you could've done this yourself, though Smile }

So there you go ... it's at least partly true.

OldFart edited on Sep 17, 2009 4:57 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
jomster

No. 4 Posted on Sep 17, 2009 9:57 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jverdan wrote:

thanks this really helps but i guess not exactly the same but close to the sound. but yeah im not a good tuner unless you have any videos that you can refer. this might get a out of topic but might as well, my kit is a yamaha stage custom all birch and i was wondering what would be a good drum heads for all my toms. Since its all-birch, the pitch gets really high if i tune it up just a bit therefore i have to tune it low to the point where my sticks would barely bounce off the head. so yeah would you also happen to know the right heads for the toms as well? oh and yeah i'll give your suggestion a try lol =) thanks!

jomster edited on Sep 17, 2009 10:16 PM

jomster

No. 5 Posted on Sep 17, 2009 10:06 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
I've only heard Royster on YouTube, and what comes to mind is that he cranks something like a Coated Controlled Sound .

So I went to The Tony Royster Jr Website to find that he endorses Evans drum heads.

When you click the Evans link, it goes to Evans website (so far, so good) . Then you go to the Artist section and scroll down until you find Tony Royster Jr., and to the right you see all the Model Numbers/Part Numbers of the drum heads Royster uses. You hover your Mouse Over the Part Number to find he uses a 14" PowerCenter Reverse Dot over a 14" Hazy 300 Snare Side .

{ I think you could've done this yourself, though Smile }

So there you go ... it's at least partly true.

haha yeah i could have but thanks a lot for your help!

PeteNoAccess

No. 6 Posted on Sep 17, 2009 11:08 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jomster wrote:
thanks this really helps but i guess not exactly the same but close to the sound. but yeah im not a good tuner unless you have any videos that you can refer. this might get a out of topic but might as well, my kit is a yamaha stage custom all birch and i was wondering what would be a good drum heads for all my toms. Since its all-birch, the pitch gets really high if i tune it up just a bit therefore i have to tune it low to the point where my sticks would barely bounce off the head. so yeah would you also happen to know the right heads for the toms as well? oh and yeah i'll give your suggestion a try lol =) thanks!

Remo emperors for your toms or Evans G2 (both medium weight 2 ply heads)

should give you a warm punchy sound, and suited better to low tuning. but if the heads start to dent, you will need to tune them up, because they are tuned too low.

another thing i might add would be to check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs .

it will help you alot if you dont know how to tune Smile

AD Custom Drums
Amedia Turkish Cymbals
kudoco

Adrian

No. 7 Posted on Sep 18, 2009 12:32 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jomster wrote:
Since its all-birch, the pitch gets really high if i tune it up just a bit therefore i have to tune it low to the point where my sticks would barely bounce off the head. so yeah would you also happen to know the right heads for the toms as well? oh and yeah i'll give your suggestion a try lol =) thanks!

So you are killing the tone of your toms?

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
jomster

No. 8 Posted on Sep 18, 2009 7:34 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
PeteNoAccess wrote:
Remo emperors for your toms or Evans G2 (both medium weight 2 ply heads)

should give you a warm punchy sound, and suited better to low tuning. but if the heads start to dent, you will need to tune them up, because they are tuned too low.

another thing i might add would be to check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs .

it will help you alot if you dont know how to tune Smile

Thanks for your help!

jomster

No. 9 Posted on Sep 18, 2009 7:40 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jomster wrote:
yeah i've been tuning it up when it dents and i already have the evans g2 but what do you think the best way to tune all the toms? should i start off from the floor tom? .Thanks for your help! Again sorry guys if this is getting way off the topic

jomster

No. 10 Posted on Sep 18, 2009 7:44 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
kudoco wrote:
So you are killing the tone of your toms?

yeah, like petenoaccess said i always have tune it up when it dents

PeteNoAccess

No. 11 Posted on Sep 18, 2009 10:01 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Then i would suggest pinstripes if you like tuning low,

simply for durablity perposes, they wont sound as good (i dont think) but they will last longer and not dent quite as easy. (they are a thicker 2 ply head, with a ring of adhesive to dampen overtones)

PeteNoAccess edited on Sep 18, 2009 10:03 AM

AD Custom Drums
Amedia Turkish Cymbals
jverdan

Shy Guy lol

No. 12 Posted on Sep 18, 2009 2:02 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
PeteNoAccess wrote:
Then i would suggest pinstripes if you like tuning low,

simply for durablity perposes, they wont sound as good (i dont think) but they will last longer and not dent quite as easy. (they are a thicker 2 ply head, with a ring of adhesive to dampen overtones)

No head sounds good or bad, it just depends on what preferences are. I to prefer the emps when tuned right. Jomster, if you don't want to tune up because of ring, than dampen. Even some tape works to dampen your drums. And also, it would be much easier to recommend a head, if we knew what type of music you play.

Mapex M Birch.
10", 12", 13" toms
16" floor tom
14" snare
22x18 bass drum

18" A Custom crash
14" ZBT hats
18" ZBT Crash
19" AA Metal-X Crash
18" Wuhan China
Evans heads

Pro-Mark sticks
jomster

No. 13 Posted on Sep 18, 2009 2:31 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jverdan wrote:
No head sounds good or bad, it just depends on what preferences are. I to prefer the emps when tuned right. Jomster, if you don't want to tune up because of ring, than dampen. Even some tape works to dampen your drums. And also, it would be much easier to recommend a head, if we knew what type of music you play.

Kind of music? hmmm i'd say something groovy or anything with funky beats (lol sorry bad description) or like somewhat hip-hop..

OldFart

Mapex

No. 14 Posted on Sep 18, 2009 7:05 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jomster wrote:
haha yeah i could have but thanks a lot for your help!

I was teasing you Smile I DO hope it was at least somewhat helpful

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
kudoco

Adrian

No. 15 Posted on Sep 20, 2009 5:44 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jomster wrote:
yeah, like petenoaccess said i always have tune it up when it dents

Then buy cardboard boxes, a drum with no tone doesn't works.

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
jomster

No. 16 Posted on Sep 21, 2009 11:29 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
kudoco wrote:

well thanks for the help

jomster

No. 17 Posted on Sep 21, 2009 11:30 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
I was teasing you Smile I DO hope it was at least somewhat helpful

haha all good but it was helpful =)

jverdan

Shy Guy lol

No. 18 Posted on Sep 21, 2009 12:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
kudoco wrote:

How do you know if he's tuning it so low that there's no tone?

Mapex M Birch.
10", 12", 13" toms
16" floor tom
14" snare
22x18 bass drum

18" A Custom crash
14" ZBT hats
18" ZBT Crash
19" AA Metal-X Crash
18" Wuhan China
Evans heads

Pro-Mark sticks
jomster

No. 19 Posted on Sep 21, 2009 12:43 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jverdan wrote:
How do you know if he's tuning it so low that there's no tone?

its ok i couldnt care less but yeah i just decided to tune it up a bit and its actually sounds pretty good. I guess i just never tried it with the music now my only problem is tuning my snare. i really need to get my 101 mastered for that so far its good just not the sound that i want but im getting clooose i believe. Thanks for your help again and dont mind that guy =).

PeteNoAccess

No. 20 Posted on Sep 22, 2009 11:50 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
kudoco wrote:

im sorry, but i dont agree.

i tune my drums low (yes, after a few hard gigs, they dent)

but thats the range in which my drums sing.
its not good for the heads sure, but i would take sound over it any day.

for jazz gigs and stuff, i tune higher of course, but for rock, its not the same.

AD Custom Drums
Amedia Turkish Cymbals
PeteNoAccess

No. 21 Posted on Sep 22, 2009 11:56 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
jverdan wrote:

i totally agree, but i it was just my opinion.

there are heads good for everything, i was just trying to balance out duribility for sound for him.

AD Custom Drums
Amedia Turkish Cymbals
Brian

Super Moderator

No. 22 Posted on Oct 26, 2009 6:07 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
For a nice and dry poppy snare sound we recommend the Coated Powerstroke 3 for the batter with the standard Hazy Ambassador as a snare side.

Thanks for choosing Remo

Brian
National Sales Manager
Remo Inc.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 76 milliseconds