Topic: Kelani Flex Drums vs. Toca Freestyle Lightweights

Print this page

1.Kelani Flex Drums vs. Toca Freestyle Lightweights Copy to clipboard
Posted by: TinaDay
Posted on: Oct 9, 2012 5:51 AM

I have been looking at the Kelani Flex Drums for use w/HealthRhythms groups, and really informal drumming w/seniors, kids, and other non-musical populations. I have some misc. drums (bongos, buffalo, slapboxx, etc.) but want to add more lightweight djembes to my collection. I have a Toca FreeStyle Lightweight Djembe now, and am trying to decide whether I should purchase more FreeStyles, or go w/the Flex Drums instead.

Cost is a factor, since I'm just starting out, but I also want to have drums that remain useful, sound good, and are easy to transport.

Opinions? Preferences? Experiences?

Thanks in advance!Smile

2.Re:Kelani Flex Drums vs. Toca Freestyle Lightweights [Re: TinaDay] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Djembe_G
Posted on: Jan 10, 2013 4:00 PM

I like Toca products in terms of their overall value: durable, attractive, lightweight, and decent sound. The bonus to the Flex drums is that they're nesting, though I don't think they sound particularly good. Remo's new Versa Drums offer something similar.... The Toca Freestyle II offers a durable synthetic head AND maintains a fairly traditional look. This is a plus if you're going to dabble at all in folkloric rhythms.

3.Re:Kelani Flex Drums vs. Toca Freestyle Lightweights [Re: Djembe_G] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: TinaDay
Posted on: Jan 11, 2013 8:56 AM

Djembe_G -- you are right, the Kelani Flex Drums do not sound particularly good (esp. compared to the Toca Lightweights). I bought two Flexes to use w/HealthRhythms groups just to try them out, but don't like the sound. The heads also do not come on and off easily at all. I do want to check out the Versa drums instead, for their nesting value. I'm sure they will sound infinitely better, too.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 9 milliseconds