Topic: “Left-side ride” – it’s news to me.

Print this page

1.“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Singlestroker
Posted on: Aug 27, 2012 6:40 PM

Although I’m far from an established jazzer, I have found that two contrasting rides and hi-hat seems to work well as a jazz setup. I’ve also noticed that this is what many jazz drummers go for.

While searching for brass rivets to buy for a cymbal yesterday, I came across the term “left-side ride” cymbal. I’d never heard of that before. It seems to imply that the left-hand of the two rides presumably for a right-handed drummer, should have particular characteristics. Then again, a web search turns up Zildjian K Custom cymbals every time, so I’m wondering if it’s a term that Zildjian themselves have coined, and quite recently.

Does anyone have a fuller story on this?

2.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Aug 27, 2012 8:32 PM

I once had a riveted "left side ride" (it was stamped as such) and in reality it was not a lot different from any other ride apart from being slightly smaller in size from my others at the time. It is just a marketing term as nothing stops you using it on the right side alone or with another.

Obviously if you are going with 2 rides then they should be different in some way but also "blend" together in some way.

I myself used 3 rides as a jazz cymbal set up and no crash. Each was in a dark tonal range but had enough difference to warrant their use - one being a flat ride, one being riveted and the other being a "normal" one and each was "crasheable".

3.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Aug 28, 2012 1:28 AM

Thank you, Peter; so it's not a new term.

As I half-expected, you confirm that it's a marketing term, and not in standard use among jazz drummers, whether in the context of what a "left-hand ride" ought to sound like, or any other. As you say, it (along with any other component)can be used anywhere on the kit that a drummer prefers.

The world is full of these catchy little terms and phrases that are presumably meant to impress and entice. Cymbal marketing may be the most extreme case of this. We are also treated, nowadays, anyway, to a seemingly endless flow of new cymbal types, which are all supposed to have that extra something without which we cannot continue to survive in our particular branch of music. I suppose that can't be entirely a bad thing, as it just might, some time over the years, throw up the cymbals of all our dreams

I was interested to see a few weeks ago when I went to see Acker Bilk, that his drummer uses two riveted rides, one noticeably darker than the other, plus a hi-hat. I'm not sure that I'd ever go for two riveted ones, but it goes to show that it really is all a matter of taste, and often of compromise of one kind or another.

4.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Aug 28, 2012 3:12 AM

For a long time, I played in trios where brushes were the predominant need and then riveted cymbals really are very useful. Many big band guys like riveted cymbals too as the sustain helps colour things behind soloists. If you can control them, there is nothing wrong in using riveted cymbals on their own or in combination with non-riveted cymbals. It's all about preference, context and having a varied sound palette.

5.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: paul
Posted on: Aug 28, 2012 7:31 AM

Using rivets on your main ride is fairly common among jazzers. Check videos of early Cream, and you'll see several rivets on Ginger Baker's ride. These days, it's usually 2-3 rivets close together on the ride.

I don't like rivets on my 22" primary ride, but they work well on my 20" secondary, and I also have a 20" swish with 2 rivets.

Having a second or even third "ride" available just gives you a way to vary your sound behind different soloists or in different parts of a song, like the bridge or chorus.

6.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Aug 28, 2012 9:36 AM

I have a Crash and a Ride on both sides. I own but those four, not counting my Hats.

Not being a Jazzer, my set-up does not specifically follow that paradigm. I wanted, and felt I needed, something equally workable from whatever lateral position I'd find myself in. I have two instances of a mere two-cymbal array. Not real imaginative.

The 'Left Side Ride'-equivalent on my kit is a Paiste 20" Giant Beat re-issue ( the makers call it a 'Multi', but everyone else calls that type of cymbal a Crash-Ride, so that might move it even further to the fringe of the concept ).

7.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKicken
Posted on: Sep 2, 2012 5:01 AM

I don't know of any common terms for left and right side but that's all I use is a right and left side ride.

The right side is an 18" Zildjian Mini Cup Ping ride and on the left there is an 18" Zildjian Medium Ride with 6 rivets. Both are used as a crash as needed.

sherm

8.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: technique2012
Posted on: Sep 5, 2012 2:45 PM

Check out some of the professionals on Youtube. People like Peter Erskine have some killer work on the left-side ride (though I'm not sure if he does still anymore).

9.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: HuskerFan
Posted on: Sep 5, 2012 4:08 PM

Isn't there a Zildjian cymbal named the "left side ride" because Erskine designed it?

Also, I get to see Erskine guest drum with my school's jazz ensembles in a month, and I am very stoked.

10.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: HuskerFan] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 5, 2012 4:25 PM

HuskerFan wrote:
Isn't there a Zildjian cymbal named the "left side ride" because Erskine designed it?

Also, I get to see Erskine guest drum with my school's jazz ensembles in a month, and I am very stoked.

I have maximum respect for Peter Erskine. Sounds like a great opportunity.

11.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 5, 2012 5:19 PM

Found it.

http://zildjian.com/Products/Drumset-Cymbals/Cast-Bronze-Cymbals/K-Custom-Series/20-K-Custom-Left-Side-Ride-with-3-Rivets

12.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RMLaundon
Posted on: Sep 16, 2012 3:13 PM

Interesting post especially being a left handed drummer my ride is always on my left Wink I can see where having two rides would be useful to give a more varied sound. I am still using the same ride I got in 1986 which is a Paiste 101 and it still does me well

13.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKickinIt
Posted on: Oct 25, 2012 6:26 AM

I went to a "left-side" ride when I bought "The Beast" from TomCat on this forum.

I took my old 20" Z and mounted it to the left and I end up using it a lot....very convenient position for me anyway. Then I used TomCat's 22" on the right....it has more ping and the 20" has more wash so I have some variety and they do seem to compliment each other.

Both are older cymbals....I've had the 20 for over 40 years and Tomcat had the beast for 25 years.

14.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Kaleidoscope
Posted on: Oct 25, 2012 8:29 AM

speaking of rides and rivets. Anyone have experience on adding "rivets" to a ride with out drilling. Whats the best way to achieve that same sound. I'd like to have the option of riveted sound but be able to remove it between songs or something of that nature.

15.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 25, 2012 9:47 AM

I actually have a device I bought in the 80's called a "Sizzler". It has two hinged arms with a center hole to mount on the top rod of the stand. Each arm has two or three loose fitting rivets so you just fold the arms down for the effect and fold them back up for none.

I also have seen small chains used.

Google up "cymbal sizzler" and you'll see some stuff.

16.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 25, 2012 2:19 PM

I don't see a lot in the replies on this thread that suggests that giving a cymbal such a name is going to set a trend. Don't hold your breath, then, folks, if you're expecting cymbals named "Right-of-Floor-Tomtom Crash" or such!

17.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 25, 2012 8:33 PM

Singlestroker wrote:
I don't see a lot in the replies on this thread that suggests that giving a cymbal such a name is going to set a trend. Don't hold your breath, then, folks, if you're expecting cymbals named "Right-of-Floor-Tomtom Crash" or such!

Singlestroker -

Hah! I hear that Smile

Kaleidoscope -

The other over-the-counter Sizzle equivalent ( or near equivalent ) is the Pro-Mark Rattler .

You can remove it; but it's not as easy to switch from Sizzle to No-Sizzle ...

18.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 25, 2012 10:27 PM

For my gig last Friday, I decided to go very sizzly. I love my K Custom Dry Ride, but sometimes it is too much of what it is for me - a dry ride. So I took a rather long brass beaded chain, wrapped it around the cymbal post many times until the hanging ends were to the desired length (enough to sizzle well and not totally choke the cymbal through weight, so about halfway between the bell and edge on the 20" cymbal), and voila, a sizzle cymbal without drilling rivets. I think it worked well. I also used a very small steel (I presume) beaded chain, clasped together into a small circle, and hung it down one side of my 18" Zildjian for a very controlled sizzle. The beads for that one only went about an inch past the bell. I enjoyed both.

19.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: HuskerFan] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 26, 2012 9:34 PM

Yes, that is very old idea and much used by drummers. You were right not to let the chain choke the cymbal. I prefer rivets these days though and have enough cymbals to vary things without the on and off chain thing. But whatever works is fine. There is a sizzle device I have seen that is fan shaped and you can lift it on and off without removing it from the cymbal top itself. It is hinged.

20.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: pwc] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 27, 2012 10:01 AM

pwc wrote:
Yes, that is very old idea and much used by drummers. You were right not to let the chain choke the cymbal. I prefer rivets these days though and have enough cymbals to vary things without the on and off chain thing. But whatever works is fine. There is a sizzle device I have seen that is fan shaped and you can lift it on and off without removing it from the cymbal top itself. It is hinged.

Is this what you're speaking of - as I, too, had one of these quite some time ago :

Click here to open a new window

21.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 6:41 AM

THAT's the one Randy....I still have mine from the 80's. It's a bit bent up but could still use it.

22.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: StillKickinIt] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 12:26 PM

StillKickinIt wrote:
THAT's the one Randy....I still have mine from the 80's. It's a bit bent up but could still use it.

I had it for a while just before I acquired the 18-inch cymbal with too many rivets Smile

When I got the riveted cymbal, I had to move the other (with this folding sizzle). Then I stopped using the device after a spell because, while not looking, I kept putting the tip of the stick Under one of the arms which was too hard to get used to, so I stopped using it altogether (then years later, all my gear was stolen).

23.Re:“Left-side ride” – it’s news to me. [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: reesees
Posted on: Nov 29, 2012 5:10 AM

what????!

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 55 milliseconds