Topic: Sudden recurrence of GAS...

Print this page

1.Sudden recurrence of GAS... Copy to clipboard
Posted by: paul
Posted on: Sep 17, 2013 8:35 PM

At rehearsal for the big band a couple of weeks ago the percussionist teased me for taking longer to pack up than him. I bring stick bag and cymbals to use on the set I leave there, and while he usually has more gear to pack he's started leaving some there, and beat me out.

As I thought about it I realized that I have enough cymbals to put a set together to leave permanently, lacking only two crashes. So the next week I took my #3 ride, a 70's 22" A medium, a 70's 20" A swish, my #3 set of A hats, a 13" A that started as half a pair of hats in the 30's, an 8" A splash, and my #2 set of 16" and 18" A crashes I bought in the late 70's. The hats have a little less chick than I like, but otherwise the set was more than acceptable.

In the meantime, I'd searched, found, and bid on a 16" A crash that looked pretty thin, and am awaiting its arrival. And today on a whim I went by my local GC, where I found a used 18" Armand medium thin with a very nice sound and reasonable price that someone had sold yesterday.

When the 16 arrives I'll take pics. The 13 won't be able to stay because its center hole is too small for the tilter at rehearsal, so a 14" A Zildjian and Cie will go, and the 13 will stay home.

I haven't felt a need for new gear of any kind in a long time, so this was something of a surprise for me, and it all happened pretty quickly. Anyway, my birthday was yesterday, so I'm just calling them my present to myself, and the next time the big band rehearses will be the last time I have to pack or bring cymbals for it.
Big SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig Smile

2.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Andy
Posted on: Sep 18, 2013 4:48 AM

I know the feeling. I recently bought a new snare and kick drum and am very happy with the improved sound. I like it so much that I'm unloading some of the other gear I don't use so much.

Ebay is my friend! Smile

3.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: StillKickinIt
Posted on: Sep 18, 2013 8:38 AM

Happy Birthday!!

4.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: technique2012
Posted on: Sep 18, 2013 1:33 PM

Happy Birthday Big Smile

5.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 18, 2013 1:40 PM

Happy day! The 16" arrived while I was at the store, and I'd forgotten that a cymbal stand was included with the auction. Looks like a 70's era cymbal, and sounds very similar to my other 16", which I bought new around 1978.

Next task will be to finish the job of removing the logos on the 18".

(Click the picture to view the original one)

6.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 18, 2013 1:46 PM

Here's a better picture.

(Click the picture to view the original one)

7.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: pwc
Posted on: Sep 18, 2013 4:58 PM

Nice, Paul.

I wish I had kept the mountain of cymbals I have had over the years. But thinning them down, exchanging, trading or selling and then buying to suit changing moods and what I was hearing at the time has reduced the pile down to one main set of one flat ride and 2 other rides, crash, splash and hats with an alternate flat ride for even quieter gigs.

But having said all that, I have a better blending set of cymbals than at any other point in my life and the versatility I need.

Enjoy your purchases.

8.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 19, 2013 3:42 PM

These were basically purchased for the sake of convenience, but it's nice to be able to pick and choose for different situations.

9.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 22, 2013 10:16 AM

Hey Paul,

Why go out of your way to remove the logos? Is this a Jazz or Big Band thing? Just curious.

Incidentally, the cymbals look great.

Andy

10.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 22, 2013 10:38 AM

Andy, I just don't like logos on my cymbals. When I first started playing cymbals didn't come with them, and I never saw the need to keep them when they did appear. Nobody pays me to display a logo, and I don't care about resale value either.

Give me the look of clean, polished, plain cymbals every time.

11.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 22, 2013 3:29 PM

Paul,

Makes sense to me. I agree that cymbals actually do look better without logos. I'd rather just leave mine as is since I never know when I'm going to want to sell something. I usually change out the my bass drum resos as well, not wanting to advertise for YAMAHA or TAMA or... whatever. I did make an exception with my new Gretch bass drum because the logo just looks so cool. Smile

I do the same thing (sort of) whenever I've bought a car. The first thing I do is peel off the dealer sticker.

Andy

12.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 22, 2013 7:04 PM

I agree about dealer stickers and bass drum logos. I put my own initials on my bass drums. One clueless country singer observed my old Yamahas during a break and commented, "Those drums are really pretty. I don't think I've ever heard of PM drums."

13.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 23, 2013 3:04 AM

I also remove cymbal logos - at least on the top where they disturb me somehow but leave the logos on the bottom. I have found that truly saleable cymbals have either an actual stamp in the metal somewhere or are very easily recognisable by those who would wish to buy them for what they are - with or without logos.

14.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 25, 2013 10:14 PM

Been playing the new cymbals at home on my Catalina Maples for the last week, but I took the whole set to rehearsal with the big band tonight, and they were just fine. Crashes worked well together and with my other crash and splash. The 20" swish isn't as dark as the 22", and that will take getting used to, but otherwise I was really pleased.

Now I'm looking for an 8" A Custom or A Fast Splash. GAS, once reacquired, seems to be tough to get rid of.

15.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 26, 2013 4:54 AM

The only time a cymbal logo bothered me was with my Zildjian 20" medium ride. I bought it used off Ebay many years ago. It's great sounding cymbal but I never could figure out why it always rotated to the same position on my cymbal stand. No matter what position I started in, it always ended up in either the 6 o'clock or the 12 o'clock position. The logos and stick marks made this rotation even more noticeable.

Finally figured it out. It seems the cymbal is slightly thicker at these two positions. The added weight causes the rotation. It's a weird manufacturing error but one that doesn't cause any issues. The cymbal sounds fantastic, so it's lifelong keeper.

Too bad about your old Spirit snare Peter, but I'm betting that the new owner couldn't work wonders with this drum as he claimed. If you still had the drum, chances are it would continue to be a source of frustration - albiet a very pretty one! Smile

16.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 26, 2013 6:27 AM

Andy, I should have bought a block Brady snare, same size and same price.... I am sure that would have been a keeper but these days my bank balance and gig schedule don't warrant that kind of spend.

17.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 26, 2013 3:25 PM

Worst thing I ever bought was a house in Louisiana back in the early 90's. It was a nightmare from day 1. Managed to get rid of it after a year. Knowing I was only going to be there a short time, I should have just rented, but I was stupid. Although I did sell it, I lost probably about $5,000 not to mention the frustration and angst involved. So.... don't feel so bad. You can always ask yourself "how many Brady snare drums can I buy for $5,000?" Smile

18.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 26, 2013 8:44 PM

I couldn't resist.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130997267359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAXBlushT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I could go pick it up, since he's here in the metropolitan area, but he's about 35 miles from me, and it's worth the $6 shipping to not spend two hours in the car going to Keller and back.

19.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 27, 2013 4:42 AM

paul wrote:
I couldn't resist.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130997267359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAXBlushT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I could go pick it up, since he's here in the metropolitan area, but he's about 35 miles from me, and it's worth the $6 shipping to not spend two hours in the car going to Keller and back.

You're a very bad man! Smile

Looks like a nice little splash; decent price as well.

20.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 28, 2013 8:27 AM

The seller shipped really quickly, and it got here last night, so I'm taking it to a wedding gig this afternoon. Not sure if I like it as a splash, but it has a really nice bell (!?) that I'll use with the jazz quartet.

21.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 30, 2013 5:19 PM

I've never used a splash cymbal before, but if I did, I'd probably set it on the left side and use it with my left hand to substitute for hi hat barks.

22.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: technique2012
Posted on: Sep 30, 2013 6:12 PM

Andy wrote:
I've never used a splash cymbal before, but if I did, I'd probably set it on the left side and use it with my left hand to substitute for hi hat barks.

I like to emulate Buddy Rich's set up and put it right in the middle of the set above the bass drum.

23.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Sep 30, 2013 6:31 PM

I've never used a Splash. For that matter, I've never used a China. I'm partial to and feel more comfortable with larger cymbals; and have nothing smaller than an 18".

But I sense I'd feel more at home trying a China than a Splash.

But the reason for commenting is I've also seen a rather small China (I think, 12 inches) which might be a way to work into the smaller cymbals. Cool

24.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Sep 30, 2013 10:34 PM

I have a 12" Zildjian Oriental Trash that is a great little cymbal. Very cutting and bright, and dies very quickly.

On gigs I normally use an 8" Paiste Dimensions on a stacker over a 14" K crash centered between the up toms, and on small group gigs will add a 6" A splash on a second clutch over the hats. At home there's a 10" A in the center and an 8" A stacked over a 16" crash. I like trying a variety of stuff on my home kit. It gives me ideas on what to use and how on gigs.

I got my first splash, a 10" A, in the late 70's, and still have that cymbal. That it sounded so good made it easier for me to fall in love with splashes.

25.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 4, 2013 12:14 AM

My 8" Zildjian splash must be almost as old as your 10" splash Paul and despite a beating during my dixieland band days sounds just as good as ever. I reverse it on a ride at times just with an extra felt and not a proper stacker. Works fine.

26.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 5, 2013 11:57 AM

I do that sometimes with a 6" A myself. Works great.

27.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: drummer5359
Posted on: Oct 30, 2013 3:18 AM

I've been having way more Bass GAS than drum gas the past couple of years. Recently I've been having cymbal gas again. I just pulled the trigger on my first cymbal purchase in years. A friend had a Paiste Sinature 12" splash and 14" full crash, I picked them both up for $200.

I usually use larger cashes these days, either two 18"s or an 18" and a 17". I'll throw a small crash or splash in the mix for contrast.

Most of my splashes are quite dark. I wanted something that would work better with my Paistes.

As far as logos, if that have them it doesn't bother me. If they are faded of gone it doesn't bother me either.

28.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Nov 1, 2013 4:52 PM

Yeah, I just fell off the wagon. I purchased a 70's vintage Zildjian 18" cymbal. It's very thick - just the way I like it. Crashes fairly easily under my 2B sticks yet is still heavy enough to serve as a light ride. If I were using light sticks it wouldn't be crashable at all. I moved it to my "favorite cymbal" position, just over the hi-hat.

I listed some of by other stuff on Ebay as well. Whenever I buy some new toy, I sell some old toy I haven't used in a while.

29.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: Andy] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Nov 2, 2013 2:07 AM

I just bought some new cymbal felts. I felt so decadent ..... Clown

30.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Nov 3, 2013 3:36 PM

Darn it! That Ebay "auto bid" feature just bid on another cymbal! Smile

31.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Nov 4, 2013 10:12 AM

I was outbid...but at least maintained the strength of my convictions to let it go as I watched the seconds tick away. Sad

32.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Nov 6, 2013 12:59 PM

I'm not familiar with the auto bid function, but it sounds like something I need to avoid anyway.

33.Re:Sudden recurrence of GAS... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Nov 7, 2013 4:22 PM

paul wrote:
I'm not familiar with the auto bid function, but it sounds like something I need to avoid anyway.

The "auto bid" feature is unique to my Ebay account and automatically orders things that I REALLY, REALLY like, even if I already have too many toys! Smile

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 45 milliseconds