Topic: My left leg get's beatings from my left hand...

Print this page

1.My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... Copy to clipboard
Posted by: TheLemonAid
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 7:19 AM

Good day all,

Maybe it's a little comic... but, when I drum, each time I hit the snare, the palm of my left hand hits my upper left thigh. This isn't a problem unless I drum for some 2 hours straight, then I start noticing, not really pain, but my leg goes a little numb, sort of.

Now I am wondering if a lot of other drummers have that too? I'm just getting slightly concerned about this, also from the medical side... Blush So I am just wondering if it's normal.

Do you have any experiences with that?

Sorry for not being around for a while! I had to take a break from drumming to finish school and all. But now I am drumming a lot again! Cool

Cheers!

2.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: TheLemonAid] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Singlestroker
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 9:00 AM

Maybe raise the snare drum a bit?

3.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: paul
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 10:09 AM

Singlestroker wrote:
Maybe raise the snare drum a bit?

What he said.

QED

4.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: paul] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: OldFart
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 12:12 PM

paul wrote:
What he said.

QED

Hear, hear - Singlestroker and Paul!

Not to imply I'm some sort of Policing agent for the topic, but I set my kit around a Snare Drum with the Batter Head closely approximating the height of my navel.

Purpose?

Clean strokes while maintaining sufficient posture. 'Sufficient' inasmuch as seeing the band and being aware of meaningful things roundabout is important to me. Also, a more upright posture seems to allow for easier - or more fluid - arm movement when needed.

I also rotate different grips; often starting with Traditional Grip. I'm aware of it, but this part is more often a subconscious mid-stream adaptation. I found I need to sit a bit more erect to do that - since I chose not to purposely stick with one grip.

5.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: TheLemonAid] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Mendell
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 12:47 PM

I'd lower the throne instead of raising the snare drum.

6.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: Mendell] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 1:20 PM

Mendell wrote:
I'd lower the throne instead of raising the snare drum.

... not if The Lemon Aid's knees are already bent at 20 degress!

Evil

7.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: Singlestroker] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 1:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I'll mess and experiment around with the snare position and the holding of the drumsticks. Maybe I should also try hitting a little less hard and use more technique... Blush

Singlestroker wrote:
... not if The Lemon Aid's knees are already bent at 20 degress!

Evil

20 degrees... is that the golden angle to have in the knees?

Thanks again!

Cheers!

8.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: TheLemonAid] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: RvJim
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 3:40 PM

I get this. What they all say is true; however, if you are like me you likely won't move your gear. I accept it as part of the game, I like my snare/throne where they are. When I was younger and playing full time (behind the kit actually playing 15-30+ hours per week) I constantly had bruising on the tops of my legs (especially the left).

9.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: TheLemonAid] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: technique2012
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012 4:35 PM

If you don't use traditional grip, you could possibly try traditional grip. You can play at more of an angle than with german and french grip.

10.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: TheLemonAid] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Oct 30, 2012 2:11 AM

Well... it's good to know that your legs haven't fallen off because of that, RvJim! Big Smile I am probably just worried too much... Indeed, I like how my set up is now, but I don't mind changing minor things. So, I'll look around see what's best.

For the 13 years I've been drumming, I never used traditional grip. So, I've got my technique figured out in French grip mostly. But, I guess practicing some traditional grip wouldn't harm me Smile

Thanks for the tips and all!

11.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: TheLemonAid] Copy to clipboard
Posted by: Mendell
Posted on: Nov 1, 2012 11:00 AM

20 degrees? Are you sitting on the ground?

I mean, general consensus is that your legs should be parallel to the top of the bass drum or around that point, which leads to 90 degrees with a +/- margin...

12.Re:My left leg get's beatings from my left hand... [Re: Mendell] Copy to clipboard
Posted on: Nov 1, 2012 11:36 AM

Mendell wrote:
20 degrees? Are you sitting on the ground?

I mean, general consensus is that your legs should be parallel to the top of the bass drum or around that point, which leads to 90 degrees with a +/- margin...

It was a joke in response to the assertion that to lower the throne would be better than to raise the snare drum! In other words, as you have shown, it would really depend on how the throne already was.

Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 21 milliseconds